YMCA OF GREATER WAUKESHA COUNTY
EAT WELL. LIVE WELL. BE WELL.
Hanna Misiak, Healthy Living Director | YMCA of Greater Waukesha County
Thursday, February 22, 2018
It's Sweet to Eat Healthy
February 22 is National Cook a Sweet Potato Day! The sweet potato is eaten and loved by millions across the nation. Not only are sweet potatoes delicious, they are a nutritional powerhouse with numerous health benefits. Sweet potatoes are fat and cholesterol free, low in sodium, are a good source of dietary fiber and potassium, and high in vitamins A and C.
To celebrate, cook yourself a sweet potato! Here are 10 ways to enjoy the delicious and healthy sweet potato:
- A Crispy, Healthy Snack. Try munching on sweet potato chips. Thinly slice a large sweet potato and brush lightly with olive oil. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
- Just Drizzle and Eat! Dice cooked, peeled sweet potatoes and drizzle with maple syrup for a side dish that’s sure to satisfy any sweet tooth.
- Add a Twist to Your Sandwiches. Cut thin slices of cooked sweet potatoes and add to your favorite sandwich or wrap instead of tomatoes.
- Sweet Potato Pancakes! Breakfast is sure to be a hit when you make sweet potato pancakes. Try Sweet Potato Pancakes with Apple-Walnut Topping.
- The New Potato Salad. Substitute sweet potatoes for regular spuds in your favorite potato salad recipe.
- Grill ’em! Slice sweet potatoes into thick ½ inch rounds and grill until lightly browned. Drizzle with lime juice.
- Sweet Potato Fries. Sweet potato fries make a delicious treat. Quarter sweet potatoes and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees for 40-60 minutes. For a spicy twist, add a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Top Your Salad. Sweet potatoes make sweet salad toppings. Combine diced sweet potatoes, pineapple tidbits, apples, celery, cashews and serve them over salad greens for a Gingered Sweet Potato-Apple Salad.
- Mash ’em! Steam peeled sweet-potato chunks for about 10 minutes until tender, and mash with a dash of orange juice.
- Bake, Roast, or Steam ’em! Pick a cooking method and enjoy! Use whole, unpeeled sweet potatoes as a side dish to any meal.
Please wait while we gather your results.