Set SMART Goals for Success
YMCA OF GREATER WAUKESHA COUNTY
GO AFTER YOUR GOALS
Saturday, March 27, 2021
Whatever your goals are, they may be easier to achieve than you think. You just have to be SMART when setting them. At the Y, we like to focus on small steps and attainable goals to help us succeed. We call these SMART goals:
- Specific (simple, sensible, significant)
- Measurable (meaningful, motivating)
- Achievable (agreed, attainable)
- Relevant (reasonable, realistic, results-based)
- Time bound (time-based, timely, time-sensitive)
It can be challenging to pick a SMART goal that's simple to achieve and also makes progress toward your end goal. Research shows that merely identifying a goal is not enough. By incorporating SMART goals, you'll be able to make small changes that will help you commit to a healthy lifestyle and accomplish larger, long-term goals.
It's important to note that SMART goals are meant to be experimented with. If something doesn’t work, review your SMART goal and try a different approach. Looking at SMART goals as an experiment gives you the flexibility to explore multiple options and determine what works best for you!
SMART goals are also meant to be celebrated when accomplished. Plan to reward yourself by selecting an incentive that's meaningful to you and compatible with your goal. When you accomplish a SMART goal, celebrate your hard work and achievement. Then you can create your next SMART goal to keep progressing toward your overall goal.
Still not sure what your goals should be or how to set SMART ones? We’re here for you! The Y has fitness, nutrition, and healthy living programs to suit a wide variety of needs and interests. Reach out to your local branch and we'll help you find your perfect fit!
So, what can you do at the end of the week when you reach your SMART goal? Here are some ideas to help you stay motivated.
- Call a friend or family member who makes you smile.
- Create a private space at home where you can relax.
- Work on a hobby or project that you enjoy.
- Indulge in an at-home spa day.
- Take a guilt-free nap.
- Buy a fancy new water bottle.
- Enjoy a bubble bath or long shower.
- Lie in a hammock.
- Invest in a fitness tracker to motivate you even more.
- Pick a book and schedule uninterrupted time to read it.
- Buy new workout clothes.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset.
- Have a movie night.
- Plan a staycation.
- Plant a garden.
- Make a playlist of your favorite songs.
- Put on some music and do a puzzle.
- Have a family game night.
- Sleep in.
- Pick up a bouquet of flowers.
- Sign up for a virtual charity walk or run event.
- Listen to a podcast.
- Go stargazing with your family.
- Binge on a TV series.
- Take yourself on a picnic.
- Have a bonfire with someone you love.
Please wait while we gather your results.